Thursday, April 06, 2006

7 Years 363 Days

C and I are a mere 48 hours away from celebrating our 8th anniversary. Up to now my relationships all seemed to follow a three year plan. The first year spent in the throes of honeymoon bliss. The second year in a state of utter complacency and the third year spent in a variation of the old Coyote Ugly metaphor where you would chew your own arm off just to get out.

This relationship has been different in every way. They say timing is everything and it is true. C and I met in 1992. Unfortunately at the time she wasn’t single. More unfortunate is the fact that when she was finally single I wasn’t. So, it took us 6 years but at last the timing was right.

A psychologist that spoke at our conference last week said every couple has 12 chronic unresolved issues at all times. I couldn’t help thinking is that 12 each? Because if you were to ask me to list my issues and ask C the same thing I am pretty sure we could come up with 24 easily. The trick however is to get past things like leaving your shoes under the coffee table despite the near death heart attack it causes when your partner sees them. The trick is laughter. If you don’t have a healthy dose of humor in your relationship I truly feel it will never work.

I think you know when something is right when 7 years and 363 days after you made a commitment you can still look at someone and be blown away by the love you feel for them. You want to go to lunch everyday, you want to fall asleep next to them every night and you can’t imagine a day when you won’t want these things.

I have always thought the term “soul mate” was a bit too hippy and touchy-feely for my taste but I can honestly say I have met mine. We don’t always like each other but we do always love each other. Eight years down and an infinite number to go!

3 comments:

gadfly said...

What a very sweet posting! Congratulations to both of you on your eighth anniversary; btw, the traditional 8th anniversary gift involves bronze or pottery. Don't know how one can make THAT much fun...perhaps drink a cocktail from a flower pot?

Duly Inspired said...

Happy Anniversary! Looking forward to tomorrow night. The two of you, me, and a hundred or so head of cattle. I think it calls for Veuve!

Reading said...

GF-Well I suppose C does deserve a bronze medal for putting up with me for 8 years. If she wants to go for olympic gold she'll need to hang in there longer.

DI- I think it calls for Veuve (or Gruet in a pinch) wrapped in a neat little champagne coozie!!!