Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Maybe I think too much but somthings wrong.......

I’ve been putting off this post for a few days. In fact, I’ve gone over and over it a million times in my head. What do I want to say? What am I feeling? My emotions are all over the map. A friend called Friday night at 12:30 a.m. She was at a bar with her husband and had run into another friend that we haven’t spoken to since March and the last correspondence received was back in July. Friend A was calling to tell us Friend B is now engaged.

The call only lasted about 5 minutes but I’ll be damned if I didn’t lay there in bed for another hour, staring into the dark, thinking how hurt my feelings were that I learned this from a third party. I thought of things we have done together in the past; vacations, sitting by the pool with a stash of cheesy entertainment rags, going out, staying in, births, deaths, holidays and camping trips. I was overwhelmed with sadness that we no longer qualify as friends you would call with news of an engagement.

Quickly I moved on to the why emotions, then the anger and now it’s just this resolve that I/we have been dismissed. Erased. I know this is all part of life, growing together, growing apart but does it have to hurt so bad when it happens? Maybe I am making a bigger deal of it than I should. Can you really be that close to someone you haven’t seen since last December, spoken to since March and e-mailed since July? If you asked me right now I would say no, but give me another few minutes to get back on my emotional roller coaster then ask me.

3 comments:

Duly Inspired said...

I picture you there, scratching your head, wondering why you've been left behind and how come no one told you the party was over. Sorry you're going through it.

Chin up. I won't trash the rags with you but I'm always good for diagraming a sentence or two, a bottle of champage or two.

gadfly said...

unbelievably difficult to accept, isn't it?

i don't think that I will ever be able to understand how someone can so easily devalue a relationship and relegate significant friends to the margins of her life for little or no apparent reason. it is truly her loss.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.