Friday, September 30, 2005

A Flu for All Seasons

There is a new dog flu going around. I had no idea until my girlfriend informed me that she received a call at her office from another friend warning her that the Today show was doing a piece on a new dog flu so don’t be surprised when I began taking our dog to the vet for every cough or sneeze. I missed the panic inducing segment but nonetheless was told about this new strain of germ.

It is times like these that the world as a whole should be thankful I don’t have children. The poor creatures would be living in bubbles of fear that every new disease would be the one that took them down for good. I, as their mother, would be no help from my self imposed quarantine in the closet with nothing but a can of Lysol. If I did venture out it would be to get those headaches checked out that I am sure are a tumor the size of a grapefruit eating away at my short term memory. It just could not possibly be the bottle of wine a night.

As my children ventured out into the world would their dorm mates stare at their emergency preparedness kits complete with a flash light, two cans of peas, a can of corn, and bottle water? Would their potential spouses be offended when I chased them with a can of Lysol for sneezing in my house? How would my grandchildren feel that their grandmother won’t let them spend the night if they have runny noses?

Thankfully Isaac has neither sneezed nor coughed since this announcement came my way. If I were smart I would write the emergency vet a check now. Call it a retainer for when he starts exhibiting symptoms.

2 comments:

Duly Inspired said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Duly Inspired said...

Hey look! $50.00 an hour to work at home. THAT way you can keep an eye on the boy, and if so much as sneezes, rush him to the vet!

Do you really think that this is what Charley Rich is doing these days? Sad.