Monday, August 01, 2005

People like to complain about having a bad hair day. I'd like to tell you I have had a bad hair life. My mother defends the tangled mass evident in every childhood photo by saying I didn't like to have my hair brushed. Her solution..whack it off to right above the ears. If I had normal hair this wouldn't matter but I have thick hair. The end result is that I spent my entire childhood looking like a walking blond mushroom. Did I mention my thick hair is also curly. Not Shirley Temple ringlet curly. Wavy curly. The kind of curl that takes one side of your hair and lifts it out six inches where it just sits there not blowing in the wind. Unfortunately Flock of Seaguls was unheard of at this time so my hair wasn't even cool when it did the sticky outy thing.
One summer while living with my grandparents they bought a trampoline for the backyard. I spent endless hours jumping and sit bouncing in my swimdress until one day I had to retrieve something under the trampoline. It's all fun and games until someone gets their hair stuck in the springs. I'm not sure how long I stood there screaming "GRANDMOMMEEEEEEE!" but it sure felt like an eternity.
Shortly after starting junior high it became very apparent that I was not cool. I didn't dress cool, I didn't talk cool, no one cool wanted to be anywhere near me. To add insult to injury I wasn't all that interested in studying so even the smart kids steered clear of me. In an attempt to raise my cool factor I decided to get wings. There isn't a Goodie comb big enough for the wings I ended up with. A can of hairspray a day wouldn't make them stick. The next morning I just could not get the wings to flip back. My father ended up spending forty minutes curly them with a curling iron and getting them to semi-stick.
Now that I am an adult the hair doesn't bother me so much but I still want to rip it out every time my arms fall asleep from holding them over my head blow drying for forty five minutes. If you have thin hair and always wanted thick hair a word of caution... one wrong move with the scissors and you too could be a walking mushroom.

No comments: