Thursday, October 13, 2005

The Great Gobbler Gallop

Ever seen a turkey race? For that matter how many of you have heard of a turkey race? Not only have I heard of one, but last weekend I had front row seats in Small Country Town America, USA for their annual Turkeyfest which, yes includes a turkey race down Main Street. Front row seats meaning I parked my ass on the curb camera in hand at the ready for the fun to begin.

The emcee of ceremonies introduced this The 33rd Annual Turkey Race by giving a little background into the competitors. It seems that there are not one, but TWO towns in America fighting for the title Turkey Capital of the World. When people ask do they really say, “Well, I’m from the Turkey Capital of the World. Where are you from?.” I don’t know, there are a lot of things I will admit to but I think I would keep my mouth shut on that one.

Next the mayors of the two competing towns got up to give a little pep talk to the Turkey team members and spectators. It was George Forman and Mike Tyson before the fight. They actually insulted each others turkeys. Come on fellas leave the birds out of this.

A different bird races each year but their names are passed down from generation to generation thus the race is always between Ruby Begonia and Paycheck. There is even a bar in town named Ruby Begonia’s Roost. The town’s football team is the Fighting Gobblers. I’m pretty sure there is even a Turkey Queen! Hail to the Queen of Gobblers. Will she put that on her resume one day? Maybe in her wedding announcement?

Finally it was time for the Great Gobbler Gallop. The hounds (oops, fowls) were released followed by handlers shaking giant bead filled paddles to egg them on. The crowd went nuts. Paycheck flew into the crowd but was quickly brought back into the street. Men were standing on trash cans screaming “Go Ruby Go” I caught myself screaming her name as she bobbed by me.

For the first time in three years Ruby won back the traveling trophy and the town is once again Turkey Capital of the World!

This weekend is Western Days in yet another small town. I’ll let you know what I find.

No comments: