Tuesday, January 06, 2009

My Own Soapbox

For Christmas my co-worker and friend gave me the book “Pure Soapbox” by Kimerlie Dykeman. The tag line reads “…. a cleansing jolt of perspective, motivation, and humor”. There are 65 small inspirational entries to the book and I intend to read one daily as a motivator rather than plow through all 65 in one day as I would with any other book.

Today’s entry was on Enthusiasm with this great quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson:

“Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful, and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.”

This was perfect for today. I awoke this morning with so much enthusiasm for a new year. Yes, I know it is the sixth but what can I say I’m a procrastinator. So far today I have tackled waking up early, playing with my cat, loving on my dog, fixing my hair rather than the uniform ponytail, putting on my favorite perfume over a cashmere sweater with one of my favorite scarves. It is indeed a brand new year and I am tackling the breaking of old habits with all of the enthusiasm they deserve. Will I succeed in holding onto this new found enthusiasm? Who knows. Only time can tell but today I will pour my heart into all I do. I know the results will be rewarding. I hope tomorrow’s entry is on perseverance or I am afraid I’ll lose all this enthusiasm then where will I be?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great way to start the new (ish) year! clc

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for a wonderful little mention! SO jazzed to hear you have embraced my book...indeed that's a friend to keep! Indeed, I feel that I've been put here to motivate, entertain and educate folks from every walk of life...and that means keeping my writing absolutely authentic and just as if I were sitting right next to you. Be it through the book, the blog and the upcoming videos...any and all of it! PURE SOAPBOX lets you dole out some much-needed motivation this time of year. So visit www.puresoapbox.com and take care!